Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New Family Members

Meet "The Girls". 

Hopefully they are all girls :)  Tim has wanted chickens for years and I always resisted.  He promised to build a coop that is safe so the "bad guys" can't get in and kill the chickens.  So this time I said yes.  I really would like having fresh brown eggs in my fridge, and to sell to my neighbors.  We bought 10 chicks - 5 different kinds.  All of them are supposed to lay brown eggs, eventually.



The first night we had them we had a power outage.  I will do an entire post about that because it was an eye-opener.  Anyway, for the next couple of weeks they will be living in the basement in their homemade brooder box.  They are already a lot of fun to watch.  Tonight Tim took each one out and held it for awhile and let it climb up his arm and sit on his shoulder.  He says he's getting them used to being around people so they will grow up friendly.   Hmmm.  Guess we'll see about that :)



There are lot's of things I need to post about but I have been too whipped when I get home from work at night.  How do all of you find time to blog?  I need to get into a better routine.  I have started feeling a bit of panic about my food storage situation. Prices are going up so fast.  We have been talking about using some of our savings to purchase food.  We are also going to take a day off work and go to the LDS Cannery in Portland.  We are not members of their church, but at the Portland cannery they let the public use the facilities on certain days.  The prices are very good and the end product will store for up to 30 years depending on what it is. I'm looking forward to that.  I think it will be a fun experience.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. aww, chicks are so fun! We had 9 last summer and got 8 more last Nov (my husband did "take care of" 3 roosters - 4 roosters was way too many, the hens wouldn't even come down from the roost to eat).

    one of my hens is presently sitting on 6 eggs. I think most of them are fertile, I hope. :) your brooder is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We purchased quite a bit of our bulk goods from the LDS cannery location. Our cannery will allow the public to purchase in bulk, though not actually can them ourselves. We went with the 5 gallon bucket route and it worked rather well. LDS just adjusted their prices in January and they don't *intend* on raising them again for the rest of the year, but that's not to say it can't happen. Dried milk was the most expensive purchase, but their beans, wheat, and oats were all very reasonable. We found better deals on rice and pasta at the local restaurant supply.

    Good luck!

    Emma
    City Roots, Country Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for chicks! We handle ours at least 3 times a day, and they can remain quite tame! You will do awesome, and there is nothing as wonderful as passing up the egg section of the grocery store because you have your own supply! I'm looking forward to your post on the power outage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously thinking about getting a few chickens myself. I've never had them, but my wife was raised around them.

    ReplyDelete

After getting multiple spam comments from Anonymous users, I have had to disable that part of my comments. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. Please sign up and say hello!