Friday, April 15, 2011

First Trip To The LDS Cannery

For months we have wanted to go to the LDS Cannery in Portland.  They are open to non-members on Tuesday and Thursday every week.  I have been furloughed one week per month since last June, so I am able to go to the cannery during my "off" week.  Tim, however, had to schedule a day off work to go with me.  Yesterday was the big day. 

I printed off the order form and we filled it out before we went.  We thought we knew what to expect since we watched the You-Tube video on using the equipment.  But when we went inside they took our order form and we could see the canning room was full of people.  We thought we would just have to wait our turn.  Then a man asked Tim to help box orders around the other side of the room.  He said sure, and off he went.  Another man asked me if I would wash and sterilize the big tubs they use in the canning room.  I agreed and he showed me where the big sink was.

Every time I finished a load of tubs they brought me another one.  Finally I asked the man how much longer he thought it would be before we got to go in the canning room.  He smiled and began explaining how things work there.  He told me that all of the orders had been sent into the canning room and the folks in there were canning everyone's orders.  He said that all the people that have orders are either inside the room canning, or outside filling orders and helping out in other ways. 

That made total sense when I thought about it.  It was much easier for them to can all of the orders for one product (like dry milk) at one time, then move on to the next item.

All in all we had a very good time. It was a rewarding experience to be able to give help where needed, especially since others were doing the canning of our order for us.  I am looking forward to going back.  I don't know when that will be because it is not easy for Tim to get a Tuesday or Thursday off work.

So, our home storage pantry is looking much better these days!  We still have a long ways to go, but I am feeling much better now that the shelves are filling up.




Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. Your pantry looks good. Wish mine was that complete!
    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a very interesting post. You've sparked my interest. I've seen posts about the LDS cannerys but I confess I don't know a whole lot about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pantry looks wonderful! It is so satisfying to have dedicated space for your storage and to be able to see at a glance what you've got set aside. We're hoping once we get moved into our new home to have a much clearer idea of what all we have. While it's all in a spreadsheet now, that's not even close to the same! Plus having the majority of it in storage at a storage unit out of town doesn't help that either. >.<

    We haven't used the cannery portion of LDS's services but we have purchased the food in bulk from them directly. Their prices have gone up DRAMATICALLY since January when we did our last round of purchasing, in the neighborhood of 50% PER ITEM. Since they're just covering their costs when they sell it to the public, they're having to pass along the increased fuel and food prices immediately rather than having some insulation like a lot of retail locations do. As a result, our local membership warehouse (Sams / Costco / etc) is actually cheaper on many items now that wasn't before.

    Anything you can get in place now is a good thing! Prices are only going to increase.

    I also heard somewhere that some LDS canneries are no longer selling to the public unless you come with an LDS member. Fortunately our local cannery will still sell bulk but I'm not sure about the cannery itself (like you did). Something to check into!

    Emma
    City Roots, Country Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that pantry does look great! How neat about going to the LDS Cannery and what a great way they work it out!

    I should post pictures of ours some time. Definitely not that complete and given space issues, not that huge. Our basement is a work in progress (always). We do have some shelving units though and we're working on our list of items to store. :)

    Yours looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pantry! I am jealous in a good preppy kind of way! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing how your trip to the cannery went. We have been toying with going to the local LDS cannery but haven't made an appt yet. I did call a few months ago to make sure non-members could come. They said it was fine, but said there was a four-month waiting list to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking pantry. I think that is a wise move the way things are going. Who knows what the Washington will do next. Be prepared and "keep on keepin on!"---johnnyb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your space! Your shelves look great and everything is so neat and tidy! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

After getting multiple spam comments from Anonymous users, I have had to disable that part of my comments. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. Please sign up and say hello!