Saturday, January 22, 2011

Shopping Day

We spent some time on the road today and went to Bob's Red Mill.  We really wanted to get wheat berries but we still have no grinder so that will have to wait.  We did however, buy a large amount of wheat flour and an assortment of storage containers.  Bob's Red Mill is a fascinating place.  I could spend hours in there but Tim has a way of hurrying me along.  (Now, the tractor store is a different story!)  The first time we went there I spent over $50 and didn't even buy food, which is what I went for.  I got so excited about the kitchen gadgets I kind of lost my head :)


The company is employee owned, and you can tell by the customer service.  Each one of them truly has pride in their work.  It really shows. 

I have been trying to research grain mills.  I am so confused!  It would be nice to have one that is convertible, from electric to manual.  But we're talking big bucks for that.  Way more than I want to spend.  There are quite a few manual ones and it's hard to know if the cheap less expensive ones would do the job.  I have read all the reviews I can find and they are all over the place.  Some people hate them, some people love them.  And I don't personally know anyone who owns one, so I can't ask for a recommendation.  Do you have a grain mill?  If so, would you buy the same kind again if you had to replace it, and what kind do you have?

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I picked up my grain mill at a barn auction a month or so back. It was built in the 1800's so no I would not buy one like it new. It does what it was intended to do but it takes forever. I can grind about a pound an hour. My dad just bought a new one that he rigged up with a belt and a motor. I thank they can do about 5 to 7 pounds an hour and not get tired while doing it like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently found a Country Living grain mill posted on Craigslist. While still pricey, it was a good deal on what we DID get -- a basically new mill, mounted on a rolling cart, a nut and bean auger, and a brand new second set of grinding plates for $300. We hadn't budgeted for one, but when we saw it come up we decided to reallocate our Christmas gifts to ourselves for the grinder instead.

    While I haven't used it yet (hooray, sitting ignored in the garage!), I am definitely looking forward to getting into the habit of using it.

    We did the same debate back and forth on whether to purchase a less expensive model, but we ended up deciding we'd rather spend the money once, on something that WILL hold up and last a life time and we wouldn't find ourselves needing it and not having one that was working. Because we found such a great deal, it made our decision easier.

    Good luck!

    Emma
    City Roots, Country Life

    PS -- Thanks for stopping by our blog! I'm so excited about the Survival Mom blog roll. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a hand-crank grain mill. What good will one of those expensive electric ones be when the power goes off for good? Would you believe, I got mine for free by hosting a food storage party! Check out www.shelfreliancesanantonio.com. My French bread always seems to dense. How do you get your dough to rise so much? What am I doing wrong? Now I am all stressed... What's life without bread!!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As in Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour mix? Seriously? How cool is that! We buy a lot of their product as we have wheat allergies in the family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

After getting multiple spam comments from Anonymous users, I have had to disable that part of my comments. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. Please sign up and say hello!